Table of Contents
Are you ready for some tongue-twisting? I am very sure you are eager to find out what the longest words in English Language are and their meanings. This will help you if you are preparing for a spelling bee too.
The second longest word in English is 36 letters and it means the fear of long words. How ironic is that? Well, we made a full list of all the Top 10 Longest words in English Language this year.
FUN-FACT: Most of the longest words in English are related to Medicine or Chemistry. Now you know.
Drum rolls, please! Let the count down begin!
List of 10 Longest Words in English and their Meaning
10. The Tenth longest word in English is Incomprehensibilities. In the 1990s, incomprehensibilities set the record as the longest word “in common usage”
Meaning: Impossible to comprehend.
9. The ninth longest word in English is Dichlorodifluoromethane. It is 23 letters
Meaning: A chlorofluoromethane CF2Cl2.
8. The eighth longest word in English is Thyroparathyroidectomized. Thyroparathyroidectomized is 25 words
Meaning: stands for excision of both the thyroid and parathyroid glands.
7. The seventh longest word in English is Honorificabilitudinitatibus. Honorificabilitudinitatibus is 27 letters and is the dative and ablative plural of the medieval Latin word honorificabilitudinities
Meaning: “the state of being able to achieve honours”
6. The sixth longest word in English is Antidisestablishmentarianism. Antidisestablishmentarianism is 28 letters.
Meaning: opposition to the disestablishment of the Church of England.
5. The fifth-longest word in English is Floccinaucinihilipilification
Floccinaucinihilipilification is 29 letters
Meaning: action or habit of estimating something as worthless.
4. The fourth-longest word in English is Pseudopseudohypoparathyroidism.
Pseudopseudohypoparathyroidism is 30 letters
Meaning: Pseudo-hypothyroidism (PHP) is a rare genetic disorder that manifests itself in the form of disturbances of phosphorus and calcium metabolism due to parathyroid hormone (PTH) resistance.
3. The Third longest word in English is Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious is 34 letters
Meaning: it is something to say when you have nothing to say. That’s the meaning of Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.
2. The Second longest word in English is Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia.
Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia is 36 letters and it stands for the fear of long words.
1. The Longest Word in English is Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis is 45 letters
Meaning: a lung disease caused by inhaling very fine ash and sand dust.
Note: The main longest word in Egnlish is:
Methionylthreonylthreonylglutaminylarginyl…isoleucine (189,819 letters)
Methionylthreonylthreonylglutaminylarginyl… isoleucine‘ is the chemical name of ‘titin’ (also known as ‘connectin’) – the largest known protein. It is considered the longest word in English language.. … From the chemicals which constitute the protein. It has 189,819 letters. Crazy right?