Table of Contents
Today we will dive in and have a look at the Top Online Political Science Degree and Industry Salary, Careers, Opportunities, etc.
Political science is a field not only for politicians but analysts and commentators. Earning a poli sci degree could help you pursue careers with average salaries between $52,000 and $126,000 per year (Bureau of Labor Statistics).
Types of Online Political Science Degree
Political science can be an excellent career path for students who want to take positions in private organizations and businesses or public service and administration.
Below are some of the course concentrations that you can choose from if you decide to pursue your career in political science. Click on the one that interests you to jump to that part of the page.
- American politics
- International politics
- Political theory
- Public administration
While there may be some overlap between them, each of these concentrations can help prepare you for a different career path.
If you want to pursue a career in domestic government and various political services, then taking up a concentration in American politics can help you obtain the knowledge you need.
This concentration can help you gain a deeper foundation in parties and elections, political behavior, and American institutions. It also can also help you build a basic understanding and overview of political foundations, basic economic policy, and general knowledge in statistics for social sciences.
A concentration in American politics can expose you to different fields of politics and help you gain practical experience in government, interest groups, and campaigns.
Are you interested in understanding the correlation between international politics, economics, and laws? Taking up a concentration in international politics can help you gain in-depth knowledge in this field.
Most coursework in international politics revolves around analyzing the foreign policies of different countries and states.
These programs are designed to help students develop the skills needed for the modern corporate and working world, such as creativity, communication, critical thinking, problem-solving, and self-development.
International politics can help you gain a head start in decision making for global organizations. Many programs require students to spend the majority of their time overseas, which can help them build a vast network for better work opportunities in the future.
If you have a keen interest in analyzing the methodological and complex normative issues of contemporary politics, then taking up a concentration in political theory may be an excellent choice.
Most courses in political theory encourage students to participate in critical reflection on social science methods, institutional arrangements, and political practices.
A concentration in political theory can also help you build a solid foundation in political and social thought, analytical rigor, and policy relevance.
This concentration focuses on developing future leaders by teaching them critical skills that can help them develop public policies despite moral and religious disagreement. It also covers theoretical and practical methods on how to improve the bond between political and economic institutions.
Students who want to learn practical skills that can help them develop government policies, public services, and programs may take a concentration in public administration.
It is a professional and academic discipline that can help students prepare for future public service. Coursework in this program typically uses the framework in public administration that civil servants and government leaders use to create policies for different institutions and nonprofit organizations.
In addition to formulating public policies, students can also learn how to invest resources correctly to implement these policies.
The coursework may also cover general knowledge in administering complex budgets, coordinating human resources, and critical thinking to maximize the performance and implementation of different public systems.
Courses for an Online Political Science Degree
Online political science programs typically cover a variety of topics that can help students build an understanding of social, domestic, and international politics and economics. Below are some of the courses that you’ll likely encounter if you decide to pursue a degree in political science:
- The American Political System is a course that introduces the history of the American political system and how it differs from its functions today. It covers a wide range of topics, including the institutional foundations of US politics.
- The Constitutional Law provides students with an outlook on the history of constitutional law in the United States. It also discusses where it stands today in comparison with the intentions of the founding fathers, and the changes that it went through.
- Political Protest examines the role of protests in shaping American and global politics. It covers different topics, including protest strategies and responses from the public, media, and the government. All of which are necessary skills when applying for positions in advocacy and nonprofit groups.
- The Legal Process in America develops in-depth knowledge with American law, criminal justice, and various policies that make up the legal process in the United States.
- Comparative Politics uses comparative or other empirical methods that are necessary to explore the politics within countries. This course includes discussions that address different questions relating to political institutions, political conflict, political behavior, and consequences of economic development.
What Can I Do with a Bachelors in Political Science?
Earning a bachelor’s degree in political science can open different opportunities in the public and private sectors. It may be in the form of handling legal transactions for a business or overseeing the company’s operations.
Your career options with a political science degree should be plentiful. Your potential salary range depends on the career path you choose.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, some careers in the political science field include:
|Careers||Annual Median Salary|
|Market Research Analyst||$65,810|
Keep in mind that your experience and location also play a part in determining your salary.
Professional Organizations for Those with a Political Science Degree
Once you have earned your political science degree, you can join different organizations that aim to improve the standards and ethics of poli sci. Here are some of the organizations that you can look into:
- The American Political Science Association or APSA is an association for political science students and scholars. APSA publishes the American Political Science Review, Journal of Political Science Education, Perspectives on Politics, and PS: Political Science & Politics. The organization is also responsible for the Centennial Center for Political Science and Public Affairs — a program that offers fellowships, research space, conference, and grants for scholars.
- The International Association for Political Science Students or IAPSS is a nonprofit student organization that works globally for political science students in almost 100 countries. IAPSS has members from undergraduate, graduate, and postgraduate students. It operates from its regional branches in Africa, Asia, Canada, Europe, Latin America, Oceania, and the USA.
- The International Political Science Association or IPSA is an international scholarly association devoted to the development and advancement of political science all over the world. IPSA has consultative status with the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Council (UNESCO) and the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations (ECOSOC).
- The Southern Political Science Association or SPSA is an association that organizes a conference for political science students and scholars every January at different locations in the South. The SPSA publishes the peer-reviewed academic journal — The Journal of Politics.
Accreditation for a Political Science Degree Online
Accreditation is an integral factor that you need to consider if you want to earn a degree in political science. An accredited online program means that an accrediting organization verifies the academic merit of the program.
Universities that offer degrees in political science can receive regional or national accreditation. Some schools that have regional accreditation do not accept transfer credits from nationally accredited schools.
There’s also an institutional accreditation awarded by organizations like the American Political Science Association. This type of certification also ensures that you’re receiving industry-standard practices and ethics that are specific to the programs you take.
Financial Aid for a Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science
Many find political science to be a phenomenally, useful college education. It covers a wide range of topics that may be useful in corporations and nonprofit organizations, but it may come at a cost.
However, financial difficulties should not stop you from pursuing your goals, especially now that there are several political science scholarships and aids that students can take.
Before you start looking for financial aid and scholarship programs, it would be wise to start with the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You may be eligible for grants, loans, or work-study programs that can ease up the financial burden of taking political science.
Applying for different scholarships is a wise move because these assistance programs can help reduce your need for student loans. These financial aids are often overlooked but are some of the best ways to fund your education.
Colleges, organizations, associations, clubs, and groups related to political science may also offer financial assistance or work-study programs. It’ll be easier to apply for these programs because these organizations operate in your specific field of study.
Questions Related to Earning a Poli Sci Degree Online
Here are our answers to a few more questions you might have.
Can I Get a Political Science Degree Online?
Yes, you can get a Political Science degree online. Most of these programs are designed to provide a foundation in policy development, lobbying, education, and journalism.
They adapt to the rapidly evolving political climate in the United States, ensuring that students always receive current and valid knowledge in this career path.
Is It Better to Get a BA or BS in Political Science?
Both degrees have merit and are advantageous for different career goals. A BS in Political Science, for example, is usually more focused on courses in math and science, while a BA in Political Science usually offers more courses in foreign languages.
A BS often creates professionals in data analysis, while a BA is often advantageous for students who want to pursue international political careers.
What Is the Best College for a Political Science Major?
Whether you are planning to earn a BA or BS in Political Science, you should make sure that you’re enrolling in a highly customizable program. This can allow you to choose the courses and academic paths that suit your career goals.
You also need to consider the most crucial factors that make up the best college, such as degree completion, student body caliber, educational resources, and the school’s post-graduation earnings.
What Are the Cheapest Online Political Science Degree Programs?
Online programs are usually cheaper than on-campus political science programs, but you can further reduce the cost by checking the school’s in-state and out-of-state rates. In addition, enrolling in an accelerated political science degree program can help reduce the cost and also allow you to earn your degree quicker.