Table of Contents
Unlock 2023/2024 BHP Billiton Learnership opportunities for valuable skills and professional growth with an industry leader.
BHP Billiton Learnerships Available
This company has many possible career options. Candidates who are interested in building a career with them may look at any one of the mentioned fields below, or any other fields included on the company’s website.
The following fields are available and more:
- Human Resources
- Supply Chain
- Information Technology
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Control Systems
- Environmental Science
- Auto Electricians
- Diesel Mechanics
- Instrumentation Technicians
BHP Billiton Learnerships Requirements
These stipulated are only guidelines, thus, candidates are urged to ensure they meet all requirements as stipulated by the company on the application form. Candidates with disabilities are urged to apply.
However, for most positions within this field, candidates will be required to have the following:
- All candidates must be a South African citizen, with a valid ID document
- Candidate must have a certificate or degree within the field they are applying for
- You must hold valid Matric with Mathematics and Science
- Candidates must be computer literate
- All candidate must be fluent in English
- Candidate must be able to meet deadlines
- Applicants must be analytical thinkers
- Candidates must be able to multi-task easily
- All candidates must be spirited and eager to learn
- Candidates must have strong communication skills
- You must give great attention to detail
- Candidates must be able to work under pressure
- All candidates must be able to work as part of a team, and independently
Preference will be given to candidates who have a valid driver?s license, as well as employee?s children and those from local communities. BHP Billion values safety as a vital part of any work description within their company, and believe in uncompromised values, thus, their ideal candidate will have the following attributes:
BHP Billiton Learnerships Application
BHP Billiton learnerships online applications are made available yearly. Candidates will be able to gather more information regarding this process, on their web page if you intend on apply, or call their offices to find out more. Candidates can search under their Graduate Program, then select ?current opportunities?, once they become available they can be found there.
Candidates who have vision, spunk, and ambition in life, may just fit perfectly in at BHP Billiton. You can walk a successful path with this learnerships, if this is what you truly want to do. Always pursue your dreams!
BHP Billiton Learnerships Closing Date
Closing dates will depend on the need within the company, however, candidates that are interested can search for open learnerships usually during July and December yearly.
Candidates are reminded to ensure applications are completed in full, and all required documentation attached before sending in their applications. All documentation must be certified copies, please do not attach your originals. It is also highly recommended to add a cover letter, along with a Curriculum Vitae.
Please remember to sign the application, include copies of all required documentation as stipulated in the application, and fill in the application completely. No late entries will be considered, so ensure you know what the closing date is, and have your application in on time.
Will the learner be paid?
There is a specified minimum learner allowance that must be paid to unemployed learners in a learnership. This is not a salary but covers expenses like travel and meals. Again, you should contact the relevant SETA for more information.
Note: The amount paid as a learner allowance depends on the SETA, type of learnership and the level of qualification. The allowances and conditions are agreed to with each learner before the commencement of the learnership.
How long does it ta ke to complete a learnership?
Learnerships will last as long as it takes to complete the qualification. This means that if the duration of the qualification is two years, then the learnership will last for that period of time.
What does a learner receive on completion?
During the learnership, learners will be required to complete assignments, tasks and practical tests and projects. They will be formally assessed in the classroom and workplace.
If all these assignments are completed successfully, they will be awarded an NQF-registered qualification, that is recognised nationally. They will receive a certificate stating the qualification and the area of skill development.
What is required to enter into a learnership?
If you are accepted you will need to sign two legal documents:
1. Learnership Agreement: this is an agreement signed by you, the organisation employing you, and the education and provider offering the theoretical training component of the learnership. This agreement clearly outlines the rights and responsibilities of all three parties.
2. Employment contract: this is a contract you will sign with the employ er, which is only valid for the time period of the learnership.
Will I get a job after completing the learnership?
Employment is not guaranteed, but once you have successfully completed your learnership, you will be in a much better position to market yourself as you will now have both work experience and theoretical training. You may also be in a better position to start your own business and generate an income that way.
Can a learnership be terminated ?
Yes, a learnership can be terminated under certain circumstances:
An employer can terminate the contract of a learnership if:
- The duration specified in the learnership agreement has expired;
- The employer and learner have agreed in writing to terminate the learnership agreement, or if there is no such agreement, the SETA t hat registered the agreement approves the termination; or
- The learner is fairly dismissed for a reason related to the learners conduct or capacity as an employee.
For more information, contact the SETA that manages the learnerships in the field in which you are interested.
Who is eligible for a learnership?
Learnerships are available for young people who have completed school, college or learning at other training institutions. You must be older than 16 and younger than 35 to be eligible for a learnership. Unemployed South Africans can only participate in a learnership if there is an employer prepared to provide the required work experience.
How to participate in a learnership?
By now you have already put some thought into your career path, and as a result you will be able to identify a learnership that will support your career goals.Your career path should be in fluenced by your interests, skills and strengths. The responsibility rests with you to investigate and research the different learnership options. You should find out as much as you can, including information on the criteria and requirements for entering a learnership.
What are the entry requirements?
Different learnerships have different entry requirements. We recommend that you contact the provider of the learnership for full details on the specific requirements for the learnership of your choice. For many learnerships, the minimum entry requirement is a National Senior Certificate or National Certificate: Vocational, but there may be more specific subject requirements or even skills requirements such as computer literacy.
What are the benefits for learners?
- You may have better employment opportunities after completing a learnership;
- You have a fixed-term employment contract for the duration of the learnership;
- Learnerships improve on the job performance so you are able to do things relevant to the job;
- You obtain a nationally-recognised qualification that is relevant to the sector; and
- You earn a learner allowance for the duration of the learnership.
How much does a learnership cost?
Learnerships are generally funded by a relevant SETA. Since the cost of learnerships varies across SETAs and types/levels of qualifications, you should contact the relevant SETA for more information.