Table of Contents
The Merseta Learnerships serve as a crucial pathway for the development of a skilled workforce, meeting the industry’s evolving demands and fostering career growth and economic development for participants.
Merseta Learnerships Available
There is numerous learnerships available yearly, the following may be included:
- Air conditioning technology
- Refrigeration technology
- Installation & maintenance of Air conditioning units
- Automotive air conditioning
- Duct Erection
- Fitters and Turners
- First Aid
- Fire Fighting
- Refrigeration Mechanic
- Domestic Refrigeration
- Social Science
- Supply Chain
- Call Centre
- Graphic Designing
- Business Administration
- Office Administration
- Financial Management
Candidates must include a detailed curriculum vitae with contact details, contactable references as well as any information they feel may be appropriate to their application.? Different qualifications may be applicable, in accordance with the career path chosen. Please also include certified copies of all relevant certificates, ID documentation and proof of residence, no older than three months.
Candidates will also be required to have the following:
- Candidates must be a South African citizen
- All candidates must hold a Matric / Grade 12 certificate
- Candidates must be proficient in English (read, write and speak)
- You must be proficient in one other national language
- Candidates who are Computer literate. Will be advantage.
- All candidates must be self-motivated and a team player.
- Flexibility with a commitment to learn, but moreover willingness to work.
Merseta Learnerships Application
Learnerships online applications processes are made available, as these learnerships become obtainable. Candidates can download the learnership agreement form from the Merseta webpage. Learnerships may be for a duration of 12 to 24 months. Candidates must register with ESSA via this link.
Candidates wanting to apply can also find out from their University Career center if there are any open learnerships. Advertisements will also be placed in newspapers, and/or on the radio once these become available.
Merseta Learnerships Closing Dates
There are no distinct closing dates for these learnerships. Each will be dependent on the company providing the learnership.
Candidates must always remember to complete the application fully, and sign it. Documentation attached should never be your originals but must be certified copies of the originals. Incomplete, late or applications without documentation will not be taken into consideration.
Candidates must always apply for a learnership within their interest and skills. If you apply for something you do not enjoy, and you get selected, you will be in that position for the entire term of the learnership, therefore, it is a great idea to ensure, that you apply for something you really want to do.
Will the learner be paid?
There is a specified minimum learner allowance that must be paid to unemployed learners in a learnership. This is not a salary but covers expenses like travel and meals. Again, you should contact the relevant SETA for more information.
Note: The amount paid as a learner allowance depends on the SETA, type of learnership and the level of qualification. The allowances and conditions are agreed to with each learner before the commencement of the learnership.
How long does it ta ke to complete a learnership?
Learnerships will last as long as it takes to complete the qualification. This means that if the duration of the qualification is two years, then the learnership will last for that period of time.
What does a learner receive on completion?
During the learnership, learners will be required to complete assignments, tasks and practical tests and projects. They will be formally assessed in the classroom and workplace.
If all these assignments are completed successfully, they will be awarded an NQF-registered qualification, that is recognised nationally. They will receive a certificate stating the qualification and the area of skill development.
What is required to enter into a learnership?
If you are accepted you will need to sign two legal documents:
1. Learnership Agreement: this is an agreement signed by you, the organisation employing you, and the education and provider offering the theoretical training component of the learnership. This agreement clearly outlines the rights and responsibilities of all three parties.
2. Employment contract: this is a contract you will sign with the employ er, which is only valid for the time period of the learnership.
Will I get a job after completing the learnership?
Employment is not guaranteed, but once you have successfully completed your learnership, you will be in a much better position to market yourself as you will now have both work experience and theoretical training. You may also be in a better position to start your own business and generate an income that way.
Can a learnership be terminated ?
Yes, a learnership can be terminated under certain circumstances:
An employer can terminate the contract of a learnership if:
- The duration specified in the learnership agreement has expired;
- The employer and learner have agreed in writing to terminate the learnership agreement, or if there is no such agreement, the SETA t hat registered the agreement approves the termination; or
- The learner is fairly dismissed for a reason related to the learners conduct or capacity as an employee.
For more information, contact the SETA that manages the learnerships in the field in which you are interested.
Who is eligible for a learnership?
Learnerships are available for young people who have completed school, college or learning at other training institutions. You must be older than 16 and younger than 35 to be eligible for a learnership. Unemployed South Africans can only participate in a learnership if there is an employer prepared to provide the required work experience.
How to participate in a learnership?
By now you have already put some thought into your career path, and as a result you will be able to identify a learnership that will support your career goals.Your career path should be in fluenced by your interests, skills and strengths. The responsibility rests with you to investigate and research the different learnership options. You should find out as much as you can, including information on the criteria and requirements for entering a learnership.
What are the entry requirements?
Different learnerships have different entry requirements. We recommend that you contact the provider of the learnership for full details on the specific requirements for the learnership of your choice. For many learnerships, the minimum entry requirement is a National Senior Certificate or National Certificate: Vocational, but there may be more specific subject requirements or even skills requirements such as computer literacy.
What are the benefits for learners?
- You may have better employment opportunities after completing a learnership;
- You have a fixed-term employment contract for the duration of the learnership;
- Learnerships improve on the job performance so you are able to do things relevant to the job;
- You obtain a nationally-recognised qualification that is relevant to the sector; and
- You earn a learner allowance for the duration of the learnership.
How much does a learnership cost?
Learnerships are generally funded by a relevant SETA. Since the cost of learnerships varies across SETAs and types/levels of qualifications, you should contact the relevant SETA for more information.